Tuesday, June 8, 2010

boys can be right sometimes too.

Please don't run away, just stay for a second and listen. Especially if you have kids. This recipe may sound weird and I was leery at first too. And when I say leery, I mean I clicked that little "delete history" button because I never wanted to see it again. However, Drew saw it just before I deleted it and said, "you can make homemade corn dogs?!" With a definite hint of childlike joy in his voice. So alas... here we are, me proven wrong again and Drew a happy camper. But that's not really a bad thing is it?

CornDog Casserole
adapted from: Taste and Tell
Serves: 6
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Here's what you need:


















-2 cup celery, chopped
-1 1/2 lbs hot dogs {i used 11 ball park franks, ha!}
-3 green onions, more if you like onions
-1 1/2 cups milk
-2 eggs
-1 tsp sage
-1/3 tsp black pepper
-18oz cornbread mix
-2 cups cheese

Here's what you do:
1. Sauté the celery and onion in a tiny bit of oil until tender, put into a big bowl.
2. Sauté the hotdogs until lightly brown and warm, add to celery mixture, stir. Set one cup of mixture aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, and 2 spices, fold into hotdog mixture.
4. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese, stir well. Place mixture into a greased 3 qt baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and reserved hotdog mixture on top.
6. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until the center is done.
I don't even like hotdogs, but this was so freakin' good! The children husband and roommate loved it too! Success!

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen anything like this before - total comfort food.

    ReplyDelete