Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I love my crock pot. We are pretty much BFF's. In fact, I love it so much, my bread maker often gets jealous and boycotts my kitchen. But that's another story for another day. Normally on Tuesdays, I'm in class until 7:30 and everyone is already home and digging through closets and cupboards with that crazy look in their eye. You know, the one that a rabbit squirrel has while scrounging through the garbage. That's a true story folks. And the reason why I use my crockpot almost every Tuesday.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
by: Eat at Home Cooks

You'll need:

32 oz chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes {I used a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and a 4 oz can of green chiles}
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
6 oz tomato paste
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups cooked chicken
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chili powder {I probably used double this, we like it spicccccy]
Corn tortillas
Cheddar Cheese

Mix all of the ingredients except the tortilla and cheese in the crock pot. Cook on high for 4-5 hours. SET IT AND FORGET IT!!! Oh wait, this isn't a cheesy informaercial, huh? Things just got a little awkward didn't they?...

Back to food...for the tortilla strips, slice up the tortillas in strips and fry.

Top the soup with the tortillas and cheese. Put in your mouth.


Disclaimer: This made SOOO much soup. I am freezing half of it for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment