Thursday, May 6, 2010

sometimes things make me mad.

For instance, I like that cheap frozen chicken pot pie you can get from the grocery store. Sure the chicken is sick-nasty and I pick it out but it's good none the less. HOWEVER, if you don't want it soggy and completely disgusting instead of just 25%, the damn thing MUST go in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Are you freaking kidding me?! I can make my own in that amount of time with chicken I'll actually eat.

Chicken Pot Pie
adapted from Carrie's Sweet Life

Here's what you need...


1 pie crust
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of finely diced onion {I hate onions so I used corn and garlic instead}
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 cups of cooked chicken
1/4 cup flour
2 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
Frozen peas
fresh thyme {I used dried}
salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in a large skillet and sauté the onions, carrots, and celery. Add the chicken and stir and then sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stirring constantly. Add chicken stock and cream.

Bring to a slow boil and allow mixture to cool and thicken for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and also the thyme.

Add mixture to pie crust and cover with top. Cut some vents at the top and bake for 30 minutes.



This dish was freaking delish. Make it and your life will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment